At its monthly meeting held, March 26, 2018, the Greene County Board of Education, on the recommendation of Superintendent James H. Carter, approved the sale of the former Carver Middle School facility to the City of Eutaw. Dr. Carter’s recommendation stated: “The sale of Carver Middle School building along with acres that will be designated to the City of Eutaw.”
The City of Eutaw offered $213,000 as total payment for the facility and rendered a down payment of $50,000, with the balance to be paid in $50,000 annual payments over the next three years, and a final payment of $13,000. The board approved the proposal on a four to one vote.
The former Carver facility is approximately 61,000 square feet and sits on 15.40 acres. The amount of acreage that will be part of the sale has not been determined.
In 2016, the Carver facility was appraised with a market value of $640,000. Previously, the board was advised that the property could be sold for less than the appraised value provided that the purchaser utilized the facility for educational programs and projects.
As a pre-requisite for consideration of sale of the property, the proposed buyer was required to submit a detailed proposal on how the property would be utilized. The specific sale arrangements have yet to be worked out between Eutaw City and the Greene County Board of Education. No final sale documents have been officiated.
The former Carver Middle School and the former Paramount Jr. High School were closed at the end of the 2015-2016 school year. The School Board consolidated the two schools to form Robert Brown Middle School serving 4th through 8th graders.
The board also approved the following personnel items:
* Additional service contracts for Justine Booth as assistant football coach at Greene County High for 20108-2019 academic year.
* Corey Cockrell as assistant football coach at GCH for Spring training only.
* Employment of Russell Rivers as auto mechanic at Greene County Career Center and
Robert Brown Middle School.
* Resignation of Rachel Nickson as Early Childhood Coordinator, Eutaw Primary School, effective March 30, 2018.
* Resignation of LaJoycelyn Davis as secretary at Robert Brown Middle School, effective March 30, 2018.
* Catastrophic leave (maternity leave) for Jerria Prince.
* Non- Renewal
Contract for Fredrick Square, Principal, Robert Brown Middle School, effective June 30, 2018.
In administrative services, the board approved the following.
* Supplemental Contracts for football coach to be paid starting October 1, 2018 and ending September 30, 2019.
* Dexter Hinton to travel to Mississippi State University, for UWA STEM Challenge, March 22, 2018.
* Tamika Thompson to travel to Atlanta Georgia, for HSTW Staff Development Conference, July 10 – 13, 2018
* The sale of Carver Middle School building along with acres that will be designated, to the City of Eutaw.
* Additional information to Greene County Board of Education Policy Manual.
* School Calendar (option B) for the 2018-2019 school year.
The board approved the superintendent’s recommendation to implement a policy statement specifically for employees who perform special duties outside their normal job description. The policy will allow employees to be paid a minimum of $200 per month and a minimum of six months up to $1,200 and a maximum amount up to 12 months or $2,400