Shown L to R: Commissioners Lester Brown, Tennyson Smith and Michael Williams, Assistant County Engineer Calvin Culliver, County Retiree Jackie R. Hill, County Engineer Willie Branch, Commissioners Corey Cockrell and Allen Turner, Jr.
The Greene County Commission, at its monthly meeting held Monday, July 11, 2016, presented Mr. Jackie R. Hill with a special Certificate of Recognition for his dedicated service to Greene County. Hill is retiring after working 18 years as a skilled equipment operator with the County Engineer’s Department. During public comments, Hill thanked the commissioners for their support and cautioned that they make sure workers hired to operate county equipment know how to do so. “The only time a machine stopped on me, it was out of gas,” Hill remarked. The various financial reports and budget amendments were presented by CFO Paula Bird and accepted into the county’s record. Bird noted that budget amendments represented a status of the remaining county budget. “The figures reflect what has been spent and what remains for this fiscal year,” she stated.
The commission accepted the resignation of Assistant Engineer, Calvin Culliver, who was employed in the County Engineer’s office for approximately three years. County Engineer Willie Branch was authorized to advertise for the position of County Assistant Engineer.
The commission approved the appointment of Margaretta Bir to the Greene County Health Systems Hospital Board from District 2.
In other business the commission approved the following:
* Request from Engineer Branch to declare as surplus and sell two dump trucks at $263,190 and one Lowboy truck at $110,670.
* Request from Engineer to order three dump trucks at $134,625 each and one lowboy at $114,458.
* Request from Engineer to consider loan from Merchants & Farmers Bank for financing new trucks as necessary.
* Contract from Cooks Pest Control for Eutaw Activity Center at initial cost of $100 and $50 monthly.
* Request to enter into supplemental agreement #1 for Geotechnical Services (bridge over County Road 86 over Little Buck Creek) for $18,216 and authorize the Commission Chairman to sign all necessary documents.
* Agreement for preliminary engineering for bridge on Flag Road over Spencer Creek at $72,938 and authorize Commission Chairman to sign all necessary documents.
* Request from Engineer to accept the bid regarding new shop building.
* Request from Engineer to advertise for equipment operator.
* Appointment of Commissioner Lester Brown to negotiate with Greenetrack CEO regarding rental payments.
* Tabled the request from the Society of Folk Arts & Culture to make courthouse restrooms available to the public during week end of the festival.