At his first official school board meeting, held Monday, July 15, 2019, as Greene County Schools Superintendent, Dr. Corey Jones presented a summary of the Scantron Series Performance Data on Reading and Math in grades 3-8 from the 2018-2019 school year. “I want everyone to see just where we are,” Jones stated. He further indicated that we are in the process of developing a plan to improve student performance on standardized tests and will be utilizing the Scantron Assessment as a bench mark assessment. “This is an approach supported by the Alabama State Department of Education,” Jones said.
Superintendent Jones presented the new Administrative Leadership at Robert Brown Middle School. At the June 10, 2019 school board meeting, Ms. Shwanta Owens of Hueytown, AL and Ms. Brittany Harris of Demopolis, Al, were selected respectively as Principal and Assistant Principal at RBM beginning this 2019-2020 school term. Each greeted the board and attendees, pledging to work diligently in the best interest of the students and the school system.
Dr. Jones also announced that school uniform policies will still be in place for the upcoming school year, as well as the special dress codes for the 9th Grade Academy. He stated that specific information would be placed on the web site, in local media and distributed otherwise to parents and community.
The personnel items recommended by the superintendent and approved by the board include the following:
- Re-Hire: Jacqueline Raby, School Nurse, for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Resignations: Tamecisha Abrams, Grade Teacher, Eutaw Primary School, effective, July 1, 2019, and Miakka Taylor, English Language Arts Teacher, Robert Brown Middle School, effective July 11, 2019; Jeffery Noland, Social Science Teacher, Robert Brown Middle School.
- Employment – Eutaw Primary School: Chandra Toney, 3rd Grade Teacher, Re-hire; Jameka Jackson Sutton, Kindergarten Teacher; Lurena Smith, Kindergarten Teacher, Re-hire; Sandra Artis, Pre-K Teacher; Domonique McDaniels, 3rd Grade Teacher.
- Employment – Robert Brown Middle School: Ashley Harrison, 4th Grade Teacher; Latausha Mitchell, 5th Grade Teacher; Ashley Moody 7th Grade English Teacher, Re-hire; Chardell Fredd, 8th Grade Science Teacher; Leanita Hunt, 5th Grade Teacher.
- Voluntary Transfer: Janice Jeames, from Physical Science Teacher at Robert Brown Middle School to Science Teacher at Greene County High School.
- Employment – Department of Transportation: Latasha Lewis, School Bus Driver; Carla Russell, School Bus Driver.
- Transfer of Employee: Gloria Lyons from the position of Cafeteria Manager at Greene County High School to Cook at Greene County High School.
- Hire: Jacqueline Edwards, Part-time Janitor.
The board approved the following Additional Service Contracts for the following employees at Greene County High School for the 2019 – 2020 academic year. (Separate Contract):
- Rodney Wesley, Head Basketball Coach; Danielle Sanders, Head Girls Basketball Coach; Brittany January, Assistant Girls Basketball Coach; Janice Jeames, Girls Softball / Volleyball Coach; Corey Cockrell, Head Football Coach; Fentress Means, Assistant Football Coach; Jacob Sullivan, Head Baseball Coach; Linda Little, Cheerleader Sponsor.
The board approved Additional Service contract(s) for the following employees at Robert
Brown Middle School for the 2019 – 2020 academic year. (Separate Contract):
- Henry Miles, Head Football Coach; Jacob Sullivan Assistant Football Coach; Jeffery Wesley, Head Basketball Coach; Corey Cockrell, Assistant Basketball Coach; Dorris Robinson, Cheerleader Sponsor.
The board approved the following Administrative Service Items:
- Authorization to remove Dr. James H. Carter as an Authorized Board Representative and signer on all Greene County Board of Education accounts.
- Authorization to add Superintendent Dr. Corey Jones as Representative and signer on all Greene County Board of Education accounts.
- Agreement between Greene County Board of Education and Helping Hands Therapy to provide Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy for the 2016 – 2017 school year.
- Agreement between Greene County Board of Education and Deonna Blalock, to provide school psychometric services for the 2019-2020 school year.