At the regular school board meeting held Monday, July 17, 2017, Superintendent James Carter assured the board members that all necessary personnel were on board to begin the next school term. Dr. Carter explained that we lost a couple of teachers due to re-location. “ One of our Math teachers said he hated to leave the Greene County school system, but he was getting married and would be relocating with his bride.” According to Superintendent Carter, “It was not easy securing a qualified Math teacher, but persistence and prayer were on our side.”
The board approved the following personnel items recommended by the superintendent.
* Employment at Robert Brown Middle School: Deborah Yvette Sommerville – 7th Grade Science teacher.
* Employment at Greene County High School: Jerria Prince – Math teacher; Karon Coleman – In-School Suspension Specialist.
* Recall at Robert Brown Middle School: Raven Bryant – Special Education teacher; Vassie Brown – Adjunct Instructor (Drama)
* Transfer: Dorris Robinson from P.E. teacher at Eutaw Primary School to P.E. Teacher at Robert Brown Middle School due to certification issues; Jeffery Wesley from P.E. Teacher at Robert Brown Middle School to P.E. Teacher at Eutaw Primary School.
* Reassignment: Fentress Means from In-School Suspension Specialist/GC Learning Academy to Physical Education Teacher at Eutaw Primary School.
* Leave of Absence: Tammy Anderson, teacher at Eutaw Primary School, to complete requirements of a ten day residency as required by the University of West Alabama – December 6 – 12, 2017.
* Additional Service Contracts 2017 – 2018 for the following employees at Robert Brown Middle School: (Separate Contract) Corey Cockrell – Head Football Coach; Henry Miles, Jr. – Asst. Football Coach, Asst. B-Team Basketball Coach.
Additional Service Contracts 2017 – 2018 for the following employees at Greene County High School: (Separate Contract) Karon Coleman – Head Football Coach; Rodney Wesley – Asst. Football Coach; Fentress Means – Asst. Football Coach.
Non-Renewal at Robert Brown Middle School: Wanda Blakely – Special Education Teacher. * Resignation Eutaw Primary: Gentrel Eatman, Physical Education teacher, effective July 6, 2017.
* Resignation Greene County High: Micheal Williams, Mathematics Teacher, effective June 23, 2017.
Employment of Chuck Jackson as Bus Driver for the system.
Catastrophic Sick Leave and Family Medical Leave: Cindy Taylor.
The board approved the following administrative services recommended by Superintendent Carter.
* Federal Funds – Conflict of Interest Policy.
* Travel for the following to Atlanta, Ga. to attend School Nutrition Association Annual Conference on July 9 – 12, 2017 (Gloria Lyons and Sandy Underwood.
* Change Order submitted by Dallas Air Conditioning in the amount of $24,100 for heat/air at Robert Brown Middle School
* Contract between Greene County Board of Education and Criterion K-12 Consulting for Formative Administrator Evaluation Support Services for 2017 – 2018 school year.
* Agreement between Greene County Board of Education and Woods Therapeutic Services, Inc. to provide Behavior Aides for the 2017 – 2018 school year.
* Agreement between Greene County Board of Education and Amy Wilson Quitt to provide speech-language therapy services to preschool children at Greene County Head Start, Eutaw Primary, and Warrior Academy for the 2017 – 2018 school year
* Agreement between Greene County Board of Education and Kim Herren to provide developmental services to children at Greene County Head Start for the 2017 – 2018 school year
* Bank reconciliations as submitted by Ms. Katrina Sewell, CSFO
* Payment of all bills, claims, and payroll.
Under instructional items, the board approved the Greene County Board of Education Strategic Plan 2017 – 2018.
In his report Superintendent Carter announced that Institute Day for all employees of the Greene County School System is scheduled for August 2, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. The start date for students will be August 7, 2017. This will be a full day. National Night Out and Back to School Rally is scheduled for Tuesday, August 1, 2017 on the town square.