In his report to the school board on Monday, October 21, 2019, Superintendent Dr. Corey Jones reported that the school system’s enrollment has increased to 1000, still short of the 1,056 enrolled by the same period in the previous school year. Enrollment by school is as follows: Eutaw Primary 346; Robert Brown Middle 355; Greene County High 299.
“ We are continuing to visit families and other community persons to encourage them to enroll their children in our Greene County schools. We have in place programs and instructional staff to provide quality educational experience for our students,” Dr. Jones stated.
According to Superintendent Jones, the STAR Program at Robert Brown Middle School has begun; instructors and staff have received initial training and the classrooms are re-designed for the innovative curriculum. He stated that an open house for the community will be announced very soon.
In his report, Dr. Jones stated that Eutaw Primary had the highest daily attendance for September with 95.77 % daily attendance, and would receive a school banner indicating the same. Robert Brown Middle School had 94.78 % daily attendance and Greene County High had 94.48% daily attendance. Dr. Jones stated that the Principals at the various schools will determine the individual student attendance awards.
Dr. Jones also gave updates on school plants maintenance. “Currently we have work orders out for maintenance and repair at Greene County High and the Career Center,” he said. Facility preservation award for the month of September will be given out this week. Jones pledged a complimentary lunch for the maintenance staff at the school earning the award.
The school board approved the following personnel items recommended by Superintendent Jones.
- Employment: Tara Thomas – Long-Term Substitute Kindergarten Teacher, Eutaw Primary (until internship is completed); Kayla Gray – Science Teacher, Robert Brown Middle; Starr Christian – English Teacher Robert Brown Middle; William Wilkins – Bus Driver, Department of Transportation.
- Supplemental Pay Raise: Lurena Smith, Football and Basketball Cheerleader Coach, Greene County High.
- Supplemental Contracts (Separate Contracts): Jeffery Wesley – Assist. Basketball Coach, Greene County High; Havoline Carodine – 9th Grade Boys Basketball Coach, Greene County High.
- 21st Century Community Learning Center: Janice Jeames – Teacher Robert Brown Middle School; Shirley Noland – Librarian, Eutaw Primary; David Peterson – Bus Driver; Carol Caruthers – Bus Driver.
- Family Medical Leave: Josef Stancer, Band Director GCHS, effective October 9, 2019.
- Maternity Leave: Lakeisha Johnson, effective October 28, 2019.
Resignation: Jacqueline Carter – Science Teacher, Robert Brown Middle.
The board approved the following administrative items recommended by the superintendent.
- Travel Request: Green County High Debate Team – travel to Kennesaw State University, March 19-20, 2019; Greene County High Math Department – travel to Carowinds, April 24, 2020, sponsored by Mu Alpha Theta; Robert Brown Middle School teachers and staff attend Star Academy Summit in New Orleans.
- Capital Plan – 2019-2020.
*Change of Communication Vendor.
*Payment of all bills, claims and payroll