The AdvancED External Review Team, following a thorough examination of the school system’s operations, has recommended the Greene County School System for accreditation. The specific recommendation states: “The External Review Team recommends to the AdvancED Accreditation Commission that the Greene County Board of Education earn the distinction of accreditation by AdvancED.”
In its exit report to the board and community on Wednesday, April 20, 2016, the Review Team stated that the IEQ (Index of Educational Quality) results indicate that the system is performing within acceptable ranges as compared to expected criteria as well as other systems in the network. The team indicated that specific recommendations for continuous improvements will be contained in the final report. “These improvement priorities must be addressed within two years,” the team emphasized.
The external review focused on processes that the school system has currently in place that stimulate and guide continuous improvements in the areas of teaching and learning, capacity of leadership and use of resources.
The five member review team conducted its onsite interviews and observations from April 17-20, meeting with board members, administrative staff members, principals, teachers and school personnel as well as students. Dr. Keith Shaffer, State Director of AdvancED Mississippi office, served as Lead Evaluator. Other team members included: Associate Lead Evaluator Kathy Gruner with the Baldwin County Board of Education; Dr. Angelia Bluitt with the Mississippi Department of Education; Dr. Julius Shankles, Assist. Professor, University of Montevallo; and Tera Simmons with the Butler County School System.
The review team was presented volumes of supportive data relative to the five indicators guiding the advanced self assessment conducted by the school system in preparation for accreditation process.
The local efforts of preparing the school system for the accreditation process were led by Dr. Rhinnie Scott, Director of the Career Tech Center; Sharon Jennings, Principal, Eutaw Primary School; Mrs. Barbara Martin, Principal, Carver Middle School; Mr. Frederick Square, Principal, Paramount Jr. High School; Mr. Garry Rice, Principal, Greene County High School; Mrs. Shyla McCray, Title I Coordinator; Ms. Charlayne’ Jordan, Federal Programs Coordinator as well as other administrators and community stakeholders.
April 21, Board of
At the regular meeting of the Greene County Board of Education, Interim Superintendent Dr. James H. Carter, Sr. gave the report from AdvancED indicating that the Greene County School System is recommended for accreditation. Dr. Carter also gave updates on the Learning Academy and the Performing Arts Program, new initiatives of the system.
Dr. carter informed the board that a committee is working of various revisions to the Information Guide for Parents and Students in the areas of cell phone use; acceptable athletic shoes worn at school; dress codes – Khaki pants and Polo shirts with the school’s logo/mascot. Specific recommendations will come to the board at a later time once the committee has completed its review.
Superintendent Carter also noted that the last day of classes for students is May 24. There will be a two-week summer school program for each school. The graduation schedule is as follows: Greene County High School – May 20; Paramount Jr. High School, May 18, 6:30 p.m.; Carver Middle School, May 19, 5:00 p.m. and Eutaw Primary School, May 17, 4:00 p.m.
In other business the board approved the following:
* Personnel Items: Employment of Cassandra Kelly as long-term substitute (Mathematics) at Carver Middle School; Toice Goodson as 9th Grade Academy Administrator at Greene County High School commencing with 2016- 2017 school term; Rodney Wesley.
Instructional Item: Board approved implementation of Tourism as a mini-course for grades 6 – 12 commencing with 2016 – 2017 school year.
* Administrative Services: Rodney Wesley – Travel to Biloxi, MS to attend 2016 Spring Nike Championship Basketball Clinics on May 5, 2016;
Greene County High Math Team – Travel to Atlanta, GA to attend Math & Science Day at Six Flags Over Georgia on May 13, 2016.
Carver Middle School – Travel Atlanta, GA to visit World of Coca-Cola, APEX, Center for Civil/Human Rights, and Martin Luther King Historical Site on May 6 – 7, 2016.
* Completion of paving the campus at Greene County High School.
* Authorization to request quotes to repair roofs at Peter J. Kirksey Vocational Center. Permission to request quotes for the removal of mold and mildew at Peter J. Kirksey Vocational Center.
* Approval of the following item(s) to be declared surplus and removed from Child Nutrition Inventory: Ice makers – Eutaw Primary.
* Bus Drivers who perform extra duties such as field trips after regular route has ended, will be paid at a rate of $18.75/hr. and not be paid for some arbitrary amount or by mileage.
* Payment of all bills, claims, and payroll.
* Bank reconciliations as submitted by Mr. Leon Dowe, CSFO.