At the August school board meeting, Superintendent James H. Carter presents plaques to two recent retirees of the Greene County School System. Mrs. Bobbie Jean (BJ) Wallace was honored for 25 years as a cook in the school system; Mr. Otis Robinson was honored for 27 years in the system serving as bus driver, aid and substitute janitor. Shown L to R: Mrs. B.J. Wallace, Dr. James Carter, Mr. Otis Robinson and Mr. Leo Branch, School Board President.
In his report at the regular school board meeting held August 15, 2016, Superintendent James H. Carter announced that it is imperative that we prepare our students for a world that does not yet exist. He explained that we can only guess at what will be needed to live in this society 20 years from now, but we need to be visionaries and strive to prepare our students accordingly.
Dr. Carter shared the plans for a student forum to address overcoming the odds in the Greene County School Community. “Students often have very good ideas to contribute on improving situations,” Dr. Carter said.
Part of his plan is to institute leadership workshops for aspiring leaders in the school system. He also issued a call to community to help students in finding good jobs and in preparing them to launch a successful career.
The superintendent stated that the Robert Brown Middle School colors selected are red, black and gold. The students chose the Tiger as the school’s mascot.
In other school updates, Carter said that as of August 12, there are a total of 1,091 students enrolled in the school system. Eutaw Primary has 351 students; Robert Brown Middle School has 412 students; Greene County High School has 328 students.
Carter stated that there was a significant gain in the ACT Aspire for Reading and Math, “but there is a tremendous amount of work to be done to help students meet expectations.”
In noting an advantage for consolidating Carver and Paramount schools, Superintendent Carter stated that the total cost of the utilities at the two schools was $198,000 annually.
The Greene County Board of Education approved various recommendations presented by Superintendent James H. Carter at the August 15, 2016 board meeting. Personnel items included the following.
* Employment: Dencer Hall as Janitor/Maintenance help at the Central Office; Jacqueline Allen as Reading Tutor at Eutaw Primary; Shaneka Hopson as Health Science Instructor at Greene County Career Center; Micheal Williams as Mathematics Teacher at Greene County High.
* Re-assignment: Samuel Newton from Custodian at former Carver Middle to Custodian at Eutaw Primary; Lamar Lavender from Custodian at Paramount Jr. High to Custodian at Greene County High.
* Resignation: Ms. Tonia Bevelle, Mathematics Teacher at Greene County High, effective July 18, 2016.
* Stipend for Alphonso Noland, Maintenance Worker.
* The following to assist the maintenance department with repairs to Robert Brown Middle:
Carl Washington, Kiser Jackson, Andrew Hill.
* Add the following to the current Bus Driver Substitute List 2016-2017: Samuel Ezell, James Gaines, James Powell, Jerdin Grays, Fannie Aaron, Melissa Davis – Special Services Bus Aide.
* Additional Service contract(s) for the following employees at Greene County High School for the 2016 – 2017 academic year. (Separate Contract): Eric Hendricks – Assistant Football Coach
Volunteer Coach: Cedrick Eatman – Greene County High School 2016 – 2017 academic year.
The board approved providing the same raise for the Superintendent as other employees are receiving.
The board approved the following Administrative Services:
Contract with Metropolitan Association of Football Officials for football officials at Greene
County High School on September 9 and September 23, 2016.
Contract between the Greene County Sheriff Department and the Greene County Board of Education for services of School Resource Officers at Robert Brown Middle and Greene County High School for 2016 – 2017 school year.
* Contract between Greene County Board of Education and Greene County Sheriff’s Department for security services at Greene County High School and Robert Brown Middle School football games during the 2016 – 2017 Football Season.
* Bid submitted by Hotel and Restaurant Supply for shelving for the new walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer at Robert Brown Middle.
* Lowest bid submitted by Sliddel for Motor Oil products for FY 2016 – 2017.
* Lowest bid submitted by Pruett Oil for Unleaded Gas and Diesel Fuel for FY 2016 – 2017.
* Bid Submitted by Tombigbee for Propane for FY 2016 – 2017 (Only Bidder).
The following items be declared surplus and removed from Child Nutrition Inventory:
* Lunchroom Tables from old Greene County High School.
* Lunchroom Tables at Paramount Jr. High School.
* Imperial Range (oven) at Paramount Jr. High School.
* Freezer/Refrigerator at Paramount Jr. High School.
All utilities for Carver Middle and Paramount Jr. High to be turned off at the end of the month
Payment of all bills, claims, and payroll approved. Bank reconciliations as submitted by Mr. Leon Dowe, CSFO approved. Payment of Invoice for 2016/2017 ATBE General Liability/Errors and Omissions Liability Fund Coverage in the amount of $7,449 approved. Contract of Mr. Toice Goodson as Principal at Greene County High School Ninth Grade Academy (One Year) approved. Contract with West Central Official Association of Football Officials for football officials at Greene County High School on August 19, September 30 and October 7, 2016 approved.