Most of Monday May 13, 2019 regular monthly meeting was devoted to approving requests from County Engineer Willie Branch for actions to improve facilities, services and equipment of the Highway Department.
The Commission approved replacement of a bridge over McConnico Creek on Highway 69 in District 4. “This will initiate the process to replace the bridge which involves seeking state and Federal resources and regulatory approvals,” said Branch.
The Commission approved purchase of a rooftop air conditioner for $15,980 for the William M. Branch Courthouse. They also approved contracting with Eric Paulding to do repairs and maintenance to the Courthouse building.
The Commission, at the request of the County Engineer, also approved purchase of 100 new garbage cans at a cost of $6,160. These garbage cans will be available under procedures implemented by the County Engineer. A new garbage can will require payment of a $15 issuance fee, plus $61.60 per can.
In addition, residents will pay $13.00 annually for a validation sticker on their garbage cart. This is an increase from the current fee of $3.00. There is also a monthly charge for garbage collection of $17.90, which can be reduced for those on a fixed income.
The Commission approved selling three dump trucks to JM Woods who will provide new replacements. The Commission also agreed to declare other items surplus to be sold on the Govdeals website.
The Highway Department was also approved to rent a Motor Grader and Gradall for road and ditch maintenance; the hiring of temporary workers for the summer; and travel for the Engineer and Assistant Engineer to attend an ‘Ethics for Public Officials and Employees’ seminar in Prattville on June 12 and 13.
In other business:
• the Commission received a financial report and approved payment of claims;
• submitted three names for appointment to the County Board of Equalization, including incumbent members Edna Chambers and Alfredda Crawford;
• approved allowing the Board of Education to use the Miles College grounds for an End of Year Parents Celebration on May 31, 2019;
• approved resolution for payment of the Coroner;
• approved employment of a Clerk for the Probate Office; and advertsing for a van driver for the Eutaw Nutrition Center.