The Greene County Commission met in regular session, Monday, August 12, 2019 and tabled a request from the Town of Forkland to purchase the Forkland Park. At its work session on the previous week, the commission discussed Forkland’s request to purchase 5.8 acres with the appraised value of $14, 500 ($2,500 per acre). According to Forkland Mayor Charlie McAlpine, the town has secured grant resources to purchase the property and begin revisions and upgrades to the park grounds.
At press time no further information was available as to why that agenda item was tabled.
The County Commission did approve a request from the Greene County Park & Recreation Board to lease 10 acres of county property on Choctaw Road for the sum of $1 per year, with the stipulation the agreement specifies description and location of the 10 acres.
The commission, at its work session on August 7, heard a presentation from Ralph (Rip) Banks, III on the proposed StreetScape Project. Banks’ overview noted that the $600,000 grant that is available the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) for the project will require approximately $160,000 matching funds plus engineering costs. He stated that the Greene County Industrial Development Authority has committed $80,000; the City of Eutaw is asked to contribute another $80,000 and the County is asked to give &70,000.
According to Banks this is the second time such an opportunity has been afforded Eutaw and Greene County. At its August 12 meeting, the commission tabled the request to contribute to the Street Scape Project. No additional information was provided.
The commission acted on the following items:
- Approved the contract with Delta Computer for the Probate Judge’s office.
- Approved ratifying the chairman’s action in approving the contract with Knox Pest Control for removal of Bats in the courthouse.
- Authorized engineer Willie Branch to solicit annual bids for materials.
- Approved the Rebuild Alabama County Transportation Plan 2020 as presented by Engineer Branch.
- Approved submission of ATRIP II application.
- Approved purchase of a GradAll for the County Highway Department.
- Approved budget amendments.
The financial reports and the payment of claims report were not available at the meeting.