At its monthly meeting held Monday, February 18, 2019, The Greene County Board of Education began its formal superintendent search. The board was in total agreement to engage the assistance of the Alabama Association of School Boards (AASB) in searching for the top administrator for the Greene County School System. At the December, 2018, meeting, on a 3-2 vote, the board took action not to renew Dr. James Carter’s contract as superintendent. Dr. Carter’s current contract goes through June 2019.
AASB’s search process will include advertising the superintendent search statewide and regionally; receive and screen applications; check credentials and references for all applicants; survey staff and community on desired superintendent qualities and skills; provide an interview guide for the board; submit a final listing of qualified candidates to the board for their interview and final selection.
At this February meeting, Superintendent Carter displayed the plaque the board received asserting the accreditation of the Greene County School System. The plaque reads: Greene County Board of Education has met the criteria for educational quality established by the AdvanceED Accreditation Commission. The board had been previously informed of its approved accreditation status.
In other business the board acted on the following personnel recommendations:
- Approved resignation of Fentress Means as assistant basketball coach, Greene County High School.
- Approved appointment of Alfonzo Noland as interim supervisor Maintenance Department.
- Approved family medical leave for Marcus Steele, bus driver, Department of Transportation, starting Feb.4, 2019.
*Approved suspension of Suntonna Miles, 6th grade teacher, Robert Brown Middle School, 10 days without pay.
*Approved salary adjustment for Teresa Atkins, CNP Director.
The board also acted on the following administrative services recommended by the superintendent.
- Approved requests to appraise Mt. Hebron property; appraise and survey Eatman property; appraise and survey Birdine property.
- Approved Corey Cockrell’s travel request to Glazier Coaching Clinic in North Carolina, March 7-8, 2019.
- Approved initiation of a Wrestling Program at Greene County High School commencing with 2019-2020 school year.
*Approved payment of all bills, claims and payroll.
LaVonda Blair, CSFO, presented the following financial summaries as of December 31, 2018:
General Fund Balance – $822,674.08; A/P Check Register Accountability Report – $208,391.01;
Payroll Register – $889,953.83; Combined Fund Balance – $3,058,789.39.